Wednesday 16 September 2015

Life as a GPST1 in Inverness


My name is Iain and I’m a GPST2 based in Inverness. I have finally got round to writing not only my first blog on this site, but my first ever blog! I have decided to start this blog to let all you prospective GP trainees know how varied, interesting and fun being a trainee in the Inverness area is.

I graduated in 2012 from Aberdeen having initially finished a BSc in Biomedical Sciences at the same university. My foundation years were spent treading the halls of Aberdeen Royal and maternity hospitals. I have wanted to be a GP since I was a young student aged just 24 in 4th year of medical school. I went to an inner city practice in Aberdeen expecting to be bored stiff, dealing with colds and sore throats…how wrong could I be!

We, my wife Michaela and I, along with our now 2½ year old daughter Sophie, moved to Inverness 1 year ago now for my general practice training. I am based at a large inner city practice with a list size of around 10,000 patients and a staff size of around 35 employees including partners. The variation in presentations and social backgrounds certainly keeps you on your toes!

The balance between work and family life is great while in general practice allowing us to visit the huge array of local attractions such as the Highland Wildlife Park, forest trails and local beaches (yes…there is sun in the Highlands too) to name a few. Inverness offers everything a young family should need, from large national stores for some retail therapy to huge public play parks. It also boasts one of the finest all access leisure cards for swimming pools and lessons, play groups and gym membership.

Anyway, I better get back to some e-portfolio reflection (for all you trainers reading this!) and some clinical work since I’m technically on-call in O+G just now. I will check back in soon with some more tales and some photos of our recent trip to Peppa World! Exciting!


No comments:

Post a Comment